St Andrew’s Hospital, Bow
Founded in 1873 St Andrew’s was initially named the ‘Poplar and Stepney Asylum’ for the insane and was one of six district Asylums, later on in 1921 it was renamed St Andrew’s and remained an Asylum until 1933 when it because London county council property before being passed over to the NHS partnerships.
The Asylum was designed by A&C Harston in the style of a pavilion plan in which the wards would be inter-connected by corridors and bridges which is interestingly reflected in the side-service tunnel layout where the pavilion plan becomes more evident.
At full bed capacity the Hospital held approx 750 beds with the male wards radiating to the west of the site and female wards to the east.
The hospital closed in 2002 however electricity still runs throughout the building and a sometimes a sporadic theatre light can be spotted left on.
Copyright © Elle Dunn 2007. All rights reserved.
Use of any photographs on this website requires permission of the author Elle Dunn.