Peugeot Plant, Ryton.
The West Midlands, Britain has been home to some of the UK’s most prolific car manufacturing companies dominated by the production of Jaguar, MG Rover, Chrysler and Peugeot cars.
In the small village of Ryton a few miles south from Coventry, the French branded Peugeot plant opened its lines for production in 1940 when it was initially used for the making of aeroplane propellers.
The 206 was made here on a double shift capacity releasing 2,500 vehicles per week from the plant and in 1999 and at its peak the plant reached an output of 3,400 cars per week.
Since the opening of Peugeot, skilful labour and heavy shift work from the company’s ex-employees has churned out just over 5 million vehicles for UK distribution. Production officially halted in 2007 leaving 2,300 men jobless and the Peugeot 206 factory has been relocated to Slovakia to further the reduction of production costs within the ruthless and competitive market that has become car manufacturing.
The now stripped plant which sprawls over a vast 140 acre site has now been acquired by Trenport Investments Ltd. which plan to put the site to commercial uses such as warehousing and distribution.
Copyright © Elle Dunn 2007. All rights reserved.
Use of any photographs on this website requires permission of the author Elle Dunn.
Website design/production by Koolheart Productions